Before I get into today’s DIY post, I wanted to share some exciting news in case you aren’t following me on social media (which you should be ;)) and you haven’t heard. I am the newest consultant for Rodan & Fields skincare. This company was founded by the same doctors that created Proactive! We have skincare for all skin types, but you can only purchase products through consultants, like me :) I’d love to tell you more so if you’re interested in learning more about our products or the business side (how you can earn income working part-time hours from home) please contact me! I’d love to share this wonderful opportunity with you!
Now on to the purpose of this post…
I’m so glad you’ve stopped by today to learn about my Easy Kitchen Update! Anyone can do this with just a few simple (and inexpensive) supplies.
Let me start from the beginning…in late January of 2014 we moved into a brand new house. Unfortunately, even though the house was brand new we did not get to pick ANYTHING that went in it as far as design. We had to move fairly quickly so we decided to purchase one that had been completed only a few months before. With that being said, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in the house is builder grade (beige walls everywhere, horrible countertops, stark brown cabinets, beige carpet, and the list goes on & on). It was very simple and clean when we moved in but after almost 2 years I’m going insane with all the drab colors and builder look to every part of my home…it was finally time to make it a HOME!
One of my first projects was to finally buy curtains for all the main living space. This took until about three months ago because I just couldn’t decide what exactly I wanted and drapes are not cheap! I finally found the perfect ones during this summer’s Nordstrom Semi-Annual Sale! SCORE! My perfect slate blue & white nautical striped curtains :)
After the curtains were up I decided I wanted to move on to the kitchen. I had some great inspiration from a sweet Instagram friend Collette Osuna when she decided to do open shelving with her builder grade kitchen too! Ahh finally a way to change up my dark and drab kitchen! Thanks for the inspiration, Collette!
– Screwdriver to remove the doors from your cabinets
– Measuring tape
– Contact paper (I mixed a plain white and a patterned one for mine – found these both at Walmart)
– Wall paper scraper (or any other flat object you can use to smooth out the bubbles)
Here is what my cabinets looked like before…
First step for this update (after you’ve removed all your dishes from inside) is to remove your doors. Everyone’s cabinets are put on a little different so you’ll have to look at yours to determine what type of tool you need in order to remove the doors. Mine looked like this so they were pretty simple. I kept the hardware on the door and just unscrewed them from the actual cabinet frame.
The next step is to remove the shelves and the shelf clips. Then I measured the depth & height of the entire cabinet. Once I had those measurements I measured the removed shelves including the front piece.
The next step was the hardest for me (I hate measuring & I hate fractions even more! Haha). I measured out my pieces of contact paper to match the measurements of the cabinets. The biggest thing is that the contact paper isn’t wide enough to cover the entire height of the cabinet so these were done in two strips where I tried to meet the patterns together (one reason why NOT to use a pattern ;) but if you’re not super OCD (like me) you will be fine and no one notices once all your dishes are back in :))
The next step was to start sticking the contact paper in the cabinet and on the shelves. I used a smoothing tool (used for doing wallpaper) as I was sticking it on in order to smooth out all the bubbles. This is never going to be absolutely perfect so just make it the best you can and if you have a little bubble put a cute dish in front of it and no one will ever know ;)
The contact paper I used for the shelves and the bottom & top of the cabinet was plain white so it was a little easier in measuring and lining up because there was no pattern. When I did the shelves I messed up the first time because the contact paper is so sticky and gets little bubbles in it so easily that as I tried to wrap a large piece around the main part of the shelf, then around the little edge, it just wrinkled all up. So, I tried again and I cut a skinny piece to wrap around the edge of the shelf first so I could work with it easier having less material. Then I went back and did the contact paper on the large portion of the shelf. It overlaps and if you looked really close you could see it but no one has ever even noticed :)
After adding my dishes back in and some shelf styling (thanks to some awesome purchases at Home Goods) these shelves were the perfect update to my drab kitchen! They are my favorite part of my kitchen now. I did it all in one afternoon so it’s an easy, just detailed, project!
I’d love to know if you try this project out at your own home. Let me know how it goes in the comments below!
Be sure, if you haven’t already, to subscribe to the newsletter (see right sidebar) so you get updates each time I post a new DIY project or other post!
Linked up with: